Saving money, through my frugality, is the way I make and keep myself wealthy, healthy and wise. Some highlighted accomplishments this past month:
1. Saved $344.71 off my hubby’s medical bill when a quick review by me notated some billing errors. A pleasant phone call to the doctor’s billing department and I got those charges taken off the bill. READ everything people!
2. I received a $40 rebate credit card from Home Depot instead of $20. This was due, in part, for waiting an extra week before buying deck paint because the salesperson told me about an upcoming special sale/rebate program on the very exact paint I was going to buy. Results: $70 worth of paint for only $30 and now I get to spend that $40 rebate card on any other little thing I may need.
3. DH and I have been going out to diners for the last 36 years for a occassional Sunday breakfast. We were ‘in the mood’ for a Sunday morning outing last weekend BUT the thought of spending over $27 for only a breakfast has gotten to be ridiculous for us now. Instead, we went to McDonald’s and got the ‘everything’ breakfast: scrambled eggs, sausage patty, home fries, biscuit and a stack of fluffy pancakes each and we ‘shared’ a great big cup of hot coffee for only $11. Don’t knock a McDonald’s breakfast. We eat a lot of McMuffins while out on the road. The meal was great and what was even better was saving the $16 from NOT going to the diner.
4. Saved $400 off the purchase of two current iPhone 7 models because next month the new iPhone 8 is coming out. Retailers are now getting ready to ‘dump’ their ‘old’ stock to make way for the new stock. I also bought cases for our iPhones online from WalMart. My case was $8.99 marked down from $29 (it’s pink….so what! so is my new iPhone 7Plus). DH likes the Survivor series of cases. His was $27 online marked down from $44 in the store.
5. I stoop to pick up pennies. Nothing is too small for me. Every week I shop at Aldi whereby the customer has to use a quarter in order to get a shopping cart. You get the quarter back when you return the shopping cart. Do you know how many people do NOT return their shopping cart and just leave them in the parking lot? Especially if it’s raining or cold outside? Lots. I average at least returning 4 extra carts per week which nets me about $1.00 (four quarters). I put the change in my piggy bank back home. After a few weeks I have made enough money for a free movie ticket!
Also, because I am ALWAYS returning other lazy peoples shopping cart, one cart this week had two still-frozen and cold packages of breaded shrimp! Each package has a retail value of $8 and even though I am allergic to shrimp, I grabbed them and threw them into my cooler. DH loves shrimp but because of my allergy hasn’t had them in years. Now he can fry up some for his own dinner. Score!
6. I entered a contest and won the first prize, which was a pound of delicious salt-water taffy. (delish) This was no accident. I looked over the respondents entries and calculated a more accurate response plus based on the number of entries, my percentage of my winning the competition was very high. My theory paid off. I won! I can bring the taffy to the movies next time I go. If I ever go. Or just have it while I watch yet another free month of either Netflix, Hulu or YouTube.
7. I received a notification for former Sirius Radio subscribers of a class action suit settlement. When we bought our two Dodge/Chrysler cars each came with 3 months free satellite radio service. I registered both vehicles as defendants in the class action suit and was recently notified that one car will get 3 months of Sirius for free and the other vehicle will get a refund check worth 3 months of service. That’s the way I structured the refunds. Cash & free service! Seriously, is there any other way to do things? Total value: $90.